Temporary Food Establishments/Special Events

What is a temporary food establishment?

A Temporary Food Establishment is a retail food establishment where food is offered for sale at a fixed, temporary facility in conjunction with a single event or celebration not to exceed the duration of the event or celebration (such as a fair, carnival or festival).

Who needs to get a temporary permit?

All vendors that plan to offer for sale any edible goods (food, beverages, candies, etc.) to the public are required to obtain a license.

What is the purpose of temporary permit?

A temporary permit is issued on site after conducting an inspection of the facility. The inspection is intended to check areas of concern as it pertains to food safety. General cleanliness, proper food storage and protection, good personal hygienic practices and proper food temperatures are of major concern during the inspection.

What are the health department regulations and requirements to get a temporary permit?

You may download this document, Temporary Food Establishment Requirements, or visit our office at 2400 NW 36, Oklahoma City, 73112.

Whose responsibility is it to notify the Health Department of a special event?

Traditionally the event organizer contacts the health department and provides all information needed at least one week prior to the event to ensure smooth inspection and licensing for all the vendors. In Oklahoma City, the event organizer must notify OCCHD 10 business days prior to the event with a complete list of vendors. Vendors should contact the event organizer to verify they are on the vendor list.

Special Event License Fees

Upon passing your inspection you will be issued a State Temporary Food Service License. The State temporary fee is $50 for the first day and $25 for each day thereafter per sales location with a maximum of 14 days. The maximum fee is $250. This fee is for each sales location.

To make a payment, there are several options:

You may access our online payment system here.

Payments can be also made with cash, check or money order made to the order of the OCCHD at the event.

The fee can be paid in person with cash, check or money order at the Food Safety & Environmental Health office at 2400 NW 36, Oklahoma City, 73112 two weeks prior to the event.

For a refund of the temporary event permit license, please see our Refund Policy for Special Event License Fees page.