Food Manufacturing

All food prepared for the public must be prepared in an inspected, approved, and licensed facility. Seldom does any municipality allow it to be in a private home. If allowed, it cannot be in any part of your living quarters.

A recommended place to start to get information on food manufacturing is the Basic Training class at OSU Food and Agricultural Products Center in Stillwater (405-744 6762). There is more information on their website.

Food manufacturers must follow the "Good Manufacturing Practices" - Chapter 260 of the Oklahoma State food code. A copy can be found on the Oklahoma State Health Department's web site.

When looking for a location to produce your product, check with the local municipality's zoning department to see if the address is zoned for "Food Manufacturing".

There are a lot of things that will need to be done at a location before it could be approved, possibly more that you or the owner would want to do.

Plans (floor and equipment plans/blueprints) will be required and there is a fee for checking and approving these. Many times the city will require a building permit even if the building is already there.

A final inspection, approval, and issuance of license application(s) is required before starting any production.

You might consider a coprocessor- someone already in the business and has the equipment to make your product.

To contact the Warehouses/Manufacturing Coordinator at OCCHD, please contact the specific Program Coordinator

  • Frequently Asked Questions
    Q: Can I use my home kitchen for a meal-prep business?

    A: Food prepared in a home kitchen that is sold to the public must fall under the OK Home Bakery Act or Food Freedom Act. Any food outside the scope of these Acts must be regulated by the Health Department. Only facilities that are inspected and approved can obtain an OSDH license to prepare and sell food to the public.

    Q: How do I become a food manufacturer?

    A: Food must be prepared in an OSDH licensed kitchen. For more information or to get started with your food manufacturing business, follow the steps to obtain a food manufacturing license.

    Additional documents may be required before the licensing process. There are additional testing documents such as Process Authority Letter for acidification of food, pH data, shelf-life, HACCP for cold pressed juices, etc.

    Q: What is a Process Authority Letter, SOP and HACCP?

    A: Process Authority Letter is an additional approval process used to ensure that food products are created following guidelines put in place by the FDA and/or USDA.

    An SOP is a Standard Operating Procedure. This is a written step-by-step outline of instructions set to inform and assist employees with routine operations. This procedure is specific to your operation and the products you produce.

    A HACCP – Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point – is a management system in which food safety is addressed through the analysis and control of biological, chemical, and physical hazards. This is also specific to your operation and the products you produce.

    Q: What if my product contains meat?

    A: If your product contains a meat ingredient greater than 3%, contact the Oklahoma Department of Agriculture for information on their licensing and inspection process.

    Q: How much does the OSDH license cost?

    A: The fee for Plan Review is $425 and the annual OSDH license is also $425. This annual license needs to be renewed each year for a fee of $335.

    Q: What is an edible product, and do I need to obtain an OSDH license to prepare and sell?

    A: Edibles are cannabis-based food products. They come in many different forms, such as gummies, brownies, or tinctures, and contain marijuana’s active ingredients THC and/or CBD. An OSDH license is required to prepare and sell to the public.