Monkeypox Resources

Frequently Asked Questions

What should I do if I think I have Monkeypox?
If you think you have monkeypox, contact the OCCHD Epi-on-Call at 405-425-4437 for a free confidential consultation, or your healthcare provider for advice, testing and medical care. Self-isolate away from others to protect them from infection. Cover all possible blisters (e.g., wearing clothing over the rash).

What are the symptoms of Monkeypox?
Monkeypox may cause fever and swollen lymph nodes. Headache, muscle ad backache, chills and exhaustion can also be present. A painful rash develops and goes through several stages including fluid and pus-filled blisters that eventually get crusty, scab over and fall off.

What is my Monkeypox vaccine eligibility?
Vaccine Eligibility Criteria
Vaccine Information and Administration

Post-Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) Vaccination after known or presumed exposure to monkeypox.
• Skin-to-skin contact with a person diagnosed with monkeypox.
• Sex or other skin-to-skin contact at an event/venue in which monkeypox cases have been linked.

Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) and Expanded Post-Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP++)
Vaccination prior to or after possible exposure to monkeypox.
• Anyone who identifies as a gay or bisexual man, man who has sex with men, or transgender person and has engaged in the following within the past 14 days or plans to engage in these activities in the near future:
• Sex with two or more partners.
• Sex at a commercial sex venue.
• Sex in association with an event or venue. • Sex in a geographical area where monkeypox is circulating in the community at high levels.

What should I do if I am in contact with a confirmed case of Monkeypox?
Close contact to someone who has monkeypox may be eligible for post-exposure vaccination to prevent illness. For close contact consultation, call the OCCHD Epi-on-Call at 405-425-4437. Monitor yourself for symptoms for 21 days from exposure. If symptoms develop, self-isolate away from others and contact the OCCHD Epi-on-Call or your healthcare provider for advice and testing.