Restaurants and Food Establishments

Summary of Inspection Program
Routine inspections are conducted at all licensed food establishments. The frequency of these inspections is based on the type of food service conducted at the facility. Inspections are unannounced and only represent a "snapshot" of what is happening at the food establishment at the time of the inspection. A review of the facilities inspection history is a better indicator of ongoing operational conditions. Inspections for the establishments in Oklahoma may be viewed here. If you have any questions about the inspections in Oklahoma County, please call 405-425-4348.

Anyone wishing to obtain a copy of the current regulations for Food Service Establishments may contact the Oklahoma State Department of Health at (405) 271-5243 or you may access them online.

There is also an app available through the Apple Store or on Google Play called Food Fumble. This app allows you to see ratings for restaurants with health department violations. Please note that this app is not affiliated with the OKC-County Health Department; however, they use our publicly-available inspection information in an easy-to-understand format.

Emergency Responses for the General Public

  • Q: What do I need to do if the power is out at my home?

    Generally, if the power is off for four hours or less, food in an unopened refrigerator will stay below 40 degrees Fahrenheit and should be fine to use. A full freezer will keep food at an acceptable temperature for about 48 hours if the freezer door remains closed.

  • Q: What about frozen foods?

    Frozen food is usually safe to cook or refreeze if the power hasn't been off any longer than 24 hours. If you have an appliance thermometer in your freezer, check the temperature when the power comes back on. If it reads 40 degrees or below, the food is safe and may be refrozen. If you don't have an appliance thermometer, check each item individually. If the food still contains ice crystals it's safe to refreeze or cook.

  • Q: What if I just cook the foods?

    Remember, even thorough cooking may not destroy all the bacteria in perishable food that's been left warmer than 40 degrees Farenheigt for longer than two hours. If you take a chance and eat it, you may become seriously ill.


Emergency Responses for Restaurants, Grocery Stores, and other Food Establishments

Frequently Asked Questions

Smoking Rooms

This program is conducted under Title 310: Oklahoma State Department Health Chapter 355: Smoking in public places and indoor workplaces. In the event that there is an exemption to allow smoking in a public place such as a restaurant, sanitarians from OCCHD conduct plan reviews and inspections to make sure these facilities are in compliance. These sanitarians also have the authority to use enforcement at these facilities to keep compliance.

The majority of OCCHD's role under this act is to monitor the smoking in places where food, alcohol, or low-point beer are being sold for the consumption of the public. On occasion, sanitarians will go out and collect information for the Oklahoma State Department of Health at public places that we normally do not have the authority to monitor.

If you have any complaints on facilities not monitored by OCCHD, i.e. restaurants, bars, etc. please contact the Oklahoma State Department of Health at (405) 271-3619 or 1-877-662-8887.

Oklahoma State Department of Health has great information concerning smoking laws.

Contact Information

For questions regarding smoking room inspections, please contact the specific Program Coordinator

For questions regarding Emergency/Disaster Response, please contact the specific Program Coordinator

You may also view our What to do in an Emergency handout.

For questions regarding opening a new facility or making changes to an existing facility that requires construction, please contact the specific Program Coordinator

For questions regarding liquor and beer licenses and/or the ABLE Commission, please contact the specific Program Coordinator